Today, as I was on the way back home from work, I encountered a situation which touched my heart. Upon stepping out of the lift at the 6th storey of my block, I saw a, perhaps 2-3 year old boy with a mini school bag squatting on the walkway crying. I stopped in my tracks and looked at that boy. Somehow, the boy knew I was behind him and he stopped crying and turned his head and gave me a teary-eyed look. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds. Then, I decided to continue on my way as I had initally thought that his mom/maid would be somewhere around.
I walked walked and walked till I reached the stairs down. Before going down, I took one last look at that child. The child was crying again, but once he noticed me staring at him, he stopped. Poor thing... I couldn't take it... So I walked towards the child. (I feel that my walking style might freak the child out, so I decided to walk more casually.)
I brought myself down to the child's level and I tried to converse to the child in chinese, but he seems to catch no balls. I tried in english..bingo... I even popped him an outrageous question such as asking him to come to my house instead! (He nodded! But then it would make me look like a paedophile!) He had very very short hair, big eyes... all the tears and mucus streaming out... with his mini school bag... so cute!
After much conversation (more like me talking to myself!), the little boy said, "Mommy...".
I asked, "Do you know your way home?"
He nodded.
"Sure? Kor Kor bring you home, okay?"
He nodded again.
So I offered to carry his bag (a few grams!) and I held his hands and he led me to his unit, which was on the 7th floor.
The door was ajar. Once again, I reconfirmed with the child that this was his home before ringing the doorbell. After waiting for almost a minute. A lady in he thirties walked into the living room.
I gave her a slightly angry stare, "Is this your child?".
"Yes...", That was the only word that she could muster.
"Why did you just leave him all alone downstairs?" I asked. Silence was my reply...
I walked walked and walked till I reached the stairs down. Before going down, I took one last look at that child. The child was crying again, but once he noticed me staring at him, he stopped. Poor thing... I couldn't take it... So I walked towards the child. (I feel that my walking style might freak the child out, so I decided to walk more casually.)
I brought myself down to the child's level and I tried to converse to the child in chinese, but he seems to catch no balls. I tried in english..bingo... I even popped him an outrageous question such as asking him to come to my house instead! (He nodded! But then it would make me look like a paedophile!) He had very very short hair, big eyes... all the tears and mucus streaming out... with his mini school bag... so cute!
After much conversation (more like me talking to myself!), the little boy said, "Mommy...".
I asked, "Do you know your way home?"
He nodded.
"Sure? Kor Kor bring you home, okay?"
He nodded again.
So I offered to carry his bag (a few grams!) and I held his hands and he led me to his unit, which was on the 7th floor.
The door was ajar. Once again, I reconfirmed with the child that this was his home before ringing the doorbell. After waiting for almost a minute. A lady in he thirties walked into the living room.
I gave her a slightly angry stare, "Is this your child?".
"Yes...", That was the only word that she could muster.
"Why did you just leave him all alone downstairs?" I asked. Silence was my reply...
I was angry. What happens if the child had met up with someone else with evil intentions? I wanted to scold her for being so fucking irresponsible. But then, its her child... I guess I have no say how she wants to treat him. But such a situation really makes me feel down.






No comments:
Post a Comment