Sunday, March 08, 2009

An afterthought...

I was reading the papers just now and I came across an article that got me thinking. For most of my teenage years I have not really understood how the brains of different genders worked. And at times, when I get into a quarrel with that of the opposite sex, or when coming up with a general concensus, I'd find that our ideals are mostly conflicting. Well, I hope that after reading the article "The Joy Of Sex Talk" by Chua Mui Hoong (the Straits Times Columnist) in the Sunday Times (dated March 8, 2009), I'd get a clearer picture. Also hopefully, everyone who reads this will get to know the opposite sex better! The following are a few excerpts from this lengthy (but interesting) article.

A fascinating book, The Female Brain, by neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, sums up recent research on this topic.

According to her, brains of men and women are hard-wired differently and respond differently to hormonal and chemical changes , and these differences affect the way the sexes respond.

...When under stress women gather in groups to talk things out.

When I go through an emotional upheaval, I call close friends for breakfast, dinner or supper, and inflict the hows, tos and wherefores of my situation on sympathetic ears. (I do the same for my friends.) Never mind that all that talking doesn't solve anything...

Men don't have that kind of patience. A friend went to meet a childhood buddy who had just gone through a divorce. He told the grieving husband:"I give you 15 minutes to moan. After that, get on with your life." They went on to talk about schooldays and guy stuff. Apparently it is considered acceptable to make your friend condense his misery into 15 minutes flat. And then expect lifestyle changes to be made, problems solved. "Otherwise, don't call me next time."

When my former schoolmate wanted to talk about her boyfriend problems., we met for lunch , stayed for tea, then had dinner. We were together for eight hours. We had a great time and left cheerful, rejuvenated and no near a solution.

No comments: