Friday, July 20, 2007

My Laptop Crashed

The functionality of my laptop came to a halt last night and it cause me to temporary lose mood in my studies. The problem seem to start when I decided to delete 11GB worth of games (Neverwinter Nights and NSF Carbon). NWN was successfully uninstalled. However, as the NSF is a pirated copy that does not require a disc to run, and also it lacks the uninstallation file, I just clicked the delete option. Files that are of the "xxx.dll" seems critical. But i thought since its under those games folders, they could only be critical to the games. Delete anyway...After that, I did a disk defragmentation on my C drive, following that, I did scandisk and then the virus scan. During the virus scan, I left the laptop running and went to the kitchen to make supper. After eating, I came back and to my horror, my computer was in critical mode and it just shut off before my eyes! I tired to revive my computer for 2 hours, but failed. In the end, I just gave up and went to sleep.
.
The next day, I brought my sick laptop to see the doctor. I explained to the technician all my problems. She got a disk labeled "winternal" and tried to fix my laptop. She seemed to get into some difficulties and she got this indian guy to help. I told the indian guy to preserve my D Drive as all my critical data are all inside it. Then, he programmed something in my computer and did the reformatting process. While waiting, I chatted with a student helper about the games in my computer. The surprising thing he told me was that NSFC had a malicious virus that would trigger whenever the user deletes the game from the computer! I don't know how true was that! The reformatting process would take about an hour. In the meantime, I followed Earns, JQ and See Kiang to FC2 for breakfast. After breakfast, I headed back to the service center. After the formatting has been done and the systems finally booting up, I did all the necessary programming of the system files needed to connect to the school network. But, I can't seem to find all my personal data in the D Drive. I feel that the indian guy made a mistake and did a full format of my laptop. When the other technicians asked him, he pushed the blame to the other student helper! Fucktard!
.
Losing all my personal information and data in my Laptop and reformatting it all over again is just like moving into a new house without all your belongings... Just got this pissed-off feeling that I must try to install all the necessary programs back to my reformatted laptop. (Anti-virus, School Network Files, Printer Files, Samsung PC suite files, MSN, etc...) Also, all my school work and course resources were gone; need to go to blackboard to get most of them back. Unretrievable items such as RWP, I have to start from scratch.
.
Perhaps the most painful is losing all my Music and Picture files. They really mean a lot to me. And now I don't know weather to blame myself for being so itchy-handed *delete button-happy*, or should I blame that Indian technician for this mess.
.
Anyway, I thought maybe I should get an external drive to back-up my information. Last time, I had faith that I would take care of my laptop and that it won't crash. I was wrong... The unexpected can strike. Johannes is in Singapore, so I guess while on outing tomorrow with everyone, I should go check it out.

No comments: